Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Where Is The School Teachers Passport?

After retiring from a 32-year career as a high school math teacher, Mr. White arrived in Paris.  He was part of a group of retired teachers taking a tour of northern Europe.  When he arrived at the customs check-in counter, the French customs official asked to see his passport.

Frantically Mr. White searched his coat pockets to try and locate his passport.  After several minutes of waiting, the French official sarcastically asked, "You have been to France before, Monsieur?"  
 
"Yes I have," replied Mr. White. 

"Well then," the customs agent said rudely.  "As a school teacher and former traveler to France, you should know you must have your passport ready upon entering our country."
 
Mr. White said, "I truly am sorry.  It's taking so long to find my passport but the last time I was here, I didn't have to show it." 
 
"Impossible." replied the custom's official.  "Americans are always required to show their passports upon arrival in  France!" 

Mr. White stopped searching, looked the customs agent straight in the in the eye and said, "Sir, the last time I visited France was in 1944.  I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day to help liberate your country.  On that particular day, there were no French officials anywhere on the beach to look at my passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment