Monday, October 22, 2012

Status of The County Hospital Patient

One day an elderly lady telephoned County Hospital. She timidly asked the receptionist if she could possibly speak to someone who could tell her how a patient in County Hospital was doing. 
 
The operator said, "I'll be glad to help.  What's the name and room number of the patient?" 
 
In her frail and tremulous voice she said, "Norma Findlay, Room 302."

The operator replied, "Let me place you with the nursing station on the third floor."   Within seconds, a nurse came on the phone and said, "County Hospital Third FloorI understand you are inquiring about Norma Findlay in room 302.  Well we have good news for you.  I spoke with her doctor when I came on shift tonight and just reviewed her file and I can tell you that Norma is doing very well.  Her blood pressure is fine and her blood work came back this afternoon and it was normal.  Her physician, Dr. Cohen, has her scheduled to be discharged tomorrow morning after he makes his rounds."

The old lady said, "Thank you; that's wonderful.  I was so worried about her.  God bless you for giving me such great  news." 
 
The nurse replied, "You're welcome Ma'am.  Are you  a relative of Norma?"  
 
"No dear," said the woman, "I'm Norma Findlay in Room 302 and no one tells me a damn thing in this County Hospital."

No comments:

Post a Comment