Monday, July 25, 2011

The Atheist Public School Science Teacher

A science teacher at the local high school who was a well-known atheist loved trekking in the woods.   One day while out hiking in a remote part of the county, he heard the rustling of bushes and then he saw a large bear charging  towards him.

Though he ran as fast as he could, he could not lose the bear who was now closing in on him.  In his confusion, he slipped and fell on the ground.  When he rolled over to pick himself up, he saw the bear right behind him, reaching for him with his left paw and getting ready to strike him with his right paw.  At that moment, the science teacher cried out, "Oh God, help me!" 

Time stopped - the bear froze and the county forest went totally silent.   The clouds parted and a bright light came down from the sky and was cast upon him.  He heard a deep voice bellow out from the sky,
"You deny my existence for all these years, you tell your friends I don't exist, and you teach your students that the creation of this wonderful planet you call Earth was just a cosmic accident.  Do you really expect me to help you in your time of need?"
The science teacher looked directly into the bright light, and said, "No, I guess not.  It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now in my hour of need; however, Lord, would it be too much of me to ask you to make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very well," said the bellowing voice and then the bright light faded away, the sounds of the forest slowly returned and the bear's right paw dropped.  The bear brought both his paws together and grabbed the science teacher around the head.

The bear then bowed his head and spoke, "Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from Thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen."


No comments:

Post a Comment